Preventive Maintenance That You Really Should Do in Your Hampton Roads, VA Home
Preventative maintenance is the way to ensure that your air conditioning unit continues to serve you and your household for years to come. Air conditioning maintenance is extremely important in Hampton Roads, VA homes. Preventative AC maintenance keeps the unit energy efficient and ensure that your energy costs are kept in check. In addition, annual pre-season checks will tend to uncover potential problems, such as worn parts, that may be addressed before the problem causes the system to fail during the hot months in Hampton Roads, VA.
Air conditioning maintenance checks should be performed at least once per year, prior to the cooling season. For heating systems, or systems that perform both functions of heating and cooling, preventative maintenance checks should be performed bi-annually. Annual or bi-annual heating and AC service includes inspection and maintenance of both the indoor and outdoor components of the system.
Several tasks are performed for the outdoor components include:
- Inspection of the HVAC unit and replace refrigerant, if needed
- Clean the inside of the unit from debris, leaves and dirt
- Inspection of drains and drain pan to ensure drains are unobstructed
- Inspection and cleaning of cabinet and coil
- Inspection of the fan motor and blades for damage and wear.
- Lubrication of parts for older model HVAC units
- Inspection of controls, wires, control box and all connections
- Inspection of compressor and tubing
Tasks performed during heating and air conditioning maintenance checks include:
- Inspection and cleaning of the blower assembly
- Lubrication of motor and parts for older HVAC units
- Replacement of fan belt, if needed, for older units
- Inspection and cleaning of combustion blower to clear dirt and lint
- Inspection and cleaning of drain pan, evaporator coil and drain lines
- Inspection for gas leaks
- Inspection, cleaning and adjustment of burner assembly
- Inspection, cleaning and adjustment of ignition system
- Inspection of heating elements or heat exchanger
- Inspection of flue system
- Replacement or cleaning air filters
- Inspection of ductwork for leaks or cracks
The AC service professional will also perform additional checks while the system is running, such as:
- Monitoring system starting characteristics
- Monitoring for abnormal sounds
- Locating the source of unusual odors
- Measuring air flow to and from the system
- Checking the ventilation system for proper air flow
An air conditioning professional may perform additional checks to the system, as needed. Regular preventative AC service keeps the system in peak operational condition and allows the AC service professional to identify potential issues, such as worn or damaged parts.
Most HVAC companies offer preventative maintenance plans. When a plan is purchased, an AC professional will come to the home and perform the annual or bi-annual maintenance checks each year. Preventative maintenance checks are essential to keep your HVAC system in top working order. Preventative maintenance checks will not only head off any costly repairs, but will keep the unit operating in with optimal energy efficiency. Just as you regularly maintain your car, you should also regularly maintain your HVAC system.
Back to Blog